Practice Breath Regulating Exercise Anulom Vilom For Instant Health Benefits
The alarming air pollution levels in many cities, has often made one wonder about it’s toll on the lungs and respiratory tract. But it’s good news that you can strengthen your immunity and retain a toxic free system through the powerful Nadi Shodhan Pranayam techniques. Nadis are the refined energy channels in our body that get obstructed due to various factors. The breathing technique of the Nadi Shodhan Pranayama helps to relieve the blocked channels and soothes the mind. Another name for this technique is Anulom Vilom Pranayama.
Anulom Vilom Pranayama or alternate nostril breathing mechanism, is an excellent energiser, which is effective to lower stress and anxiety. It has also been used by normal practitioners to treat serious health ailments like heart problems, cartilage, depression and high blood pressure. A few practitioners also make use of anulom vilom pranayama to treat bent ligaments, neural problems, migraine aches and sinus.
Pranayama is the ideal controller of life currents, or Prana by controlling your breath. It has been employed by Yogis for ages to soothe their minds and resolve different problems. It functions on the respiratory system and eliminates any energy blocks. It assists to cleanse the blood apart from increasing oxygen supply, all of which delivers excellent skin.
Anulom Vilom breathing involves inhaling from the left nostril, holding on to the breath inwards and then exhaling it out from the right nostril. The cycle is then reversed: breathe in from the right nostril, keep the breath inside and exhale out from the left nostril. The title Anulom Vilom denotes “with the grain and against the grain”. This refers to one nostril remaining more open compared to the other. Breathing from the greater open nostril implies breathing “with the grain” and breathing from the lesser open nostril signifies breathing “against the grain”
If one sucks in the Prana through the left nostril or moon Nadi, then one has to release the retained Prana from the sun Nadi or right nostril. Likewise, if the Prana was drawn in through the sun Nadi, after its retention it should be released via the moon Nadi. In fact, the left nostril symbolises moon energy that is equated with peace and tranquility and thus gives a cooling effect. Moreover, for purification of the various energetic channels of the body or Nadis, you must start Anulom Vilom Pranayama from the left nostril and exhale via the right. This represents “one cycle”. You can begin the second cycle by inhaling through the right nostril and exhaling via the left.
Best moment to practice Anulom vilom pranayam
Pranayama or breathing activity can be a superb way to begin your day. The best time to perform and enjoy its benefits is early morning, especially outdoors in fresh air. This exercise can also be practiced after four hours from every meal consumed.
It is also suggested to perform breathing exercises while on an empty stomach. Performing it on empty stomach is preferred because oxygen components within our body is high during early morning and by practising Anulom Vilom,oxygen purification takes place that make your body more active and energetic.
Arrangements prior to pranayama
To perform pranayama, sit facing east or north in a relaxed cross legged position upon a yoga mat. Ensure that your head, neck and chest lie in a straight line and keep your spine stretched. Pranayama must not be done within an hour of eating or bathing.
The Method of Performing Anulom Vilom
- Sit in comfort keeping your spine erect.
- Relax, and put your left palm to your lap.
- Take your right palm to the front of your face. Put your thumb plus ring finger on either side of the nostrils. You can position your index and middle finger on either side of the nostrils and apply it as anchors.
- Shut your eyes and have a deep breath.
- Close the right nostril with your thumb and inhale completely through the left.
- Close the left nostril with the ring finger so that both the nostrils remain closed for a short second. Open up and release the right nostril and slowly exhale.
- Now, inhale from the right and repeat the process
- Perform the Pranayama, interchanging between the right and left nostrils for around 10 cycles.
The Immense Benefits of Anulom Vilom
Anulom Vilom is a simple, but highly effective breathing technique similar to Kapalbhati, that relaxes your emotions, mental state and body. It purifies your circulation channel and gives you composure. Your lungs as well as bloodstream receives a fresh oxygen supply and detoxification.
In fact, Nadi Shodhan is not anything but Anulom Vilom, as the name itself declares that it is Shudi Kriya (cleaning) of Nadi or tubes.
A quick look at its benefits:
- Anulom Vilom blends both the physical plus mental energy of the body
- Raises oxygen and suitably decreases carbon-dioxide
- Enhances blood circulation and filters blood of toxins
- Grants you a free mind devoid of stress, depression, nervousness, hypertension and mental problems.
- Helps to avoids heart related issues
- Soothes the mind and body completely after doing the process.
- Promotes deep concentration and positive thinking
- Bestows a stunning, glowing skin and stops pimples.
- Regular performance of Anulom Vilom breathing helps to maintain a clean body and stamina.
- Boosts lung functioning
- Helps in weight loss and balances your metabolic system
- Treats ailments such as migraine, heart attack, headache, gastric distress, depression, arteries blockage, respiratory distress, blood pressure, constipation, asthma and heart blockage.
Additional Benefits of Anulom Vilom Breathing
- Improves your focusing capabilities
- Cleanses your lungs plus respiratory tract
- Harmonizes the balance of the right plus left brain hemispheres
- Purifies every energy channel
- As exhalation is double the duration of inhalation, contaminated air and waste products are cleared from the lungs
- Anuloma Viloma aids to calm the mental psyche, making it lucid and composed
- It keeps the body light and makes the eyes shiny
- Revitalizes your nervous system
- Trains you for meditation
Always remember that your lustre-filled glowing skin results from remaining stress-free and having purified blood and this pranayama helps you to achieve both.
In brief, through the process of alternate nostril breathing or Anulom Vilom there is purification of the nadis and the viewing of the inner experience grows as the practitioner is mentored to watch extreme energy and emotion without showing any reaction to it. It is significant that to be completely open and susceptible and not react is the real witness.
The Hatha Yoga Pradipika regards the Anulom Vilom conditioning vital for the pranayama to show its complete consequences. The energy-stimulating pranayamas rouse up emotions and feeling. Its complete benefit can be felt by noticing the process without getting anxious or arbitrary or directing the attention outward.
- Always inhale and exhale gently. While performing this Pranayama see to it that you do not breath in and out forcefully.
- Stop its practice instantly, if you feel any giddiness or anxiety.
- High Blood Pressure patients should avoid doing this Pranayam.
- Don’t consume your meal immediately after performing Anulom Vilom.
- Do not generate sound in breath, but rather make it rhythmic and even.
- It is a wonderful exercise for pregnant women, but the ratio of inhale plus exhale needs to be lower.
For effective results, You should maintain a consistent breath. Make an attempt to inhale, retain and exhale for the same duration. While you keep practicing, you must make an effort to extend your breathing time.
If performed properly, Anulom Vilom makes the nadis “unify” or become completely open within 3 months. According to text, with the opening of the nadis, they unite to become the central channel or sushumna nadi. This actually is the uniting of the sun and moon and is prana and apana rising as single energy.
In brief, Anulom Vilom Pranayam is a yogic breathing practice that is ancient and is designed to harmonise the nadis, cleanse the energy body and raise vibrational energy, besides stimulating higher consciousness.